Residence Cards


Page Number 2000095  Updated on April 1, 2023

Print Print in large font

A residence card is an ID card for foreign nationals with a period of residence of more than three months who will be living in Japan.
Those 16 and older need to carry this card with them at all times and be able to present it to an immigration or police officer if requested.
It can also be used as a form of ID when submitting documents or requesting certificates at a government office.

Please visit your local immigration bureau if any of the following apply to you

  • If there is any change in your name, date of birth, sex, or nationality
  • If you lose your resident card or it gets stolen
  • When renewing your residence card
  • If you have a work visa/international student visa and the organization you belong to has changed
  • If you have a spouse or child of Japanese national/dependent visa and get divorced or your spouse that was financially supporting you has passed away
  • If you have a child that is born without Japanese nationality and will be staying in Japan for 60 days or longer

Where to take care of immigration procedures

Nagoya Regional Immigration Services Bureau Gifu Branch Office

  • Location 2-7-2 Mieji-cho, Gifu City
  • Tel. 058-214-6168


Foreign National Immigration General Information Center

  • 0570-013904
  • 03-5796-7112
    (for IP and overseas calls)